After a long time of absence I'm back again with a Gargoyles Group Picture Project (short: GGPP
) journal entry.
It contains all important information about the project. For people who already know the project only the news section is important. It will be updated with the latest news about the project. Also if there would be changes in the submission rules they would appear there first, so you won't have to read the whole very very very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong entry again and again to check for important changes.
You can read all about the birth and development of this project in the old journal entry neomae.deviantart.com/journal/…
and in its comments.What we try to create
The goal is to create a picture showing as many gargoyle characters of the fandom as possible drawn by as many artists of the fandom as possible.
Gargoyle character means that the character has to be a gargoyle or at least half-gargoyle.
This project is mainly about gargoyles created by fans, e.g. in fanfictions or as garg-selves. We also will add the main TV-show gargoyles (Goliath, Hudson, Angela, Bronx, Brooklyn, Lexington, Broadway, Demona, Garg-Elisa) in the center of the pic as they did inspire many of us very much and we want to show our admiration, thankfullness and love this way.How we work
Basically: Every artist is invited to draw a picture of a gargoyle (maybe more than one) and then send it to me. I'll put everything together in a huge picture with a background, trying to include special relationships between the characters.
RULES About the characters
1. The character has to be a gargoyle preferably a character created by a fan (e.g. fanfic characters or garg-selves). The main characters of the TV show (Goliath, Hudson, Angela, Bronx, Brooklyn, Lexington, Broadway, Demona, Garg-Elisa) can be drawn, too. Please send me a note if you are interested in drawing one or two of them.
2. Every character must be on the final picture only once!==> We have to make sure that no artist draws a character that is already beeing drawn by someone else: Please tell me, which character you want to draw, before you start drawing. At the bottom of this entry there is a list of all participants along with the characters they want to draw (in case they already told me) so you can see which characters were already chosen.<==
3. You can draw your own character or a character created by someone else.==>If you want to draw someone else's character, ask the respective owner for permission first!<==
4. The number of characters one fan can add to the picture is limited to 2. This is NOT a limit on how many gargoyles one artist is allowed to draw. ==> For example: an artist is allowed to draw 2 characters that he/she wants to see in the picture AND he/she can also draw 2 characters for a fan who requested so<==
Please keep the total number of the gargoyles you draw at a normal level to avoid that one artist draws half of all characters on the final picture or something like that. Canon characters are not included in this rule. You can draw 2 of your own gargoyles and a canon character if you like. About the images
5. The image has to be a full body image. ==>The pose has to be suitable for a group picture, so it will mostly be a standing pose. Also we could use some sitting, kneeling or squatting characters for the first row. But there is a limited number of characters in these poses so if you want to draw such a pose, please tell me in time! Also we could possibly add one or two flying characters - please tell me in time, too, if you'd like to do something like that! If you have any other special pose in mind, please contact me and I will tell you, whether this will be possible for the pic or not.<==
6. The pictures have to be PC coloured. If it is absolutely impossible for an artist to hand in a PC coloured picture then I will make exceptions because I don't want anyone to be excluded from the project. But as the characters should fit together in the final pic as good as possible, I prefer PC coloured pictures. All artists should use the same colouring style - flat colouring and cell shading
(like in the TV show).
7. light source: we will work with an imaginary light source from above. This light source is not a strong one so please don't draw too dramatic shadows. I may have to change the brightness and contrast of your drawing to fit it into the final picture.
8. The pictures must have a transparent or white background so that I can fit them into the group picture easily.
9. The image must not be too small. I'll only accept pictures with a minimum height of 1000px at 150dpi
. The images must not be too big. E.g. 3000x3000px at 300dpi would be waaaayyyyy to big ^^ About the relationships
10. I will try to include special relationships between the characters in the picture. If you want to draw a cuddling couple or something, feel free to do so and hand it in as one picture. BUT not every relationship is allowed. ==> For original characters: allowed are couples based on the real life (e.g. my garg-self and the garg-self of my boyfriend) and based on the fanfictions that the characters are originally from (e.g. Ariana and Kirin or Greame and Lucy). Not allowed are relationships that change the original character's story (e.g. Kirin and Lucy).
I also will try my best to show friends or members of the same clan together.
==> Please give me the information I need to do so together with your pic <===
==> for TV show gargoyles: allowed are couples based on the TV-show (e.g. Brodway and Angela) and based on Greg's masterplan (e.g. Brooklyn and Katana (or Sata as she is called in TGS)). Not allowed are Mary Sue thingies (e.g. Brooklyn and me) or relationships not based on Greg's story (e.g. Demona and Hudson) as these are couples that only some people want to see and others may feel disturbed by them. The TV show Gargs belong to all of us equally! Deadline
I know that most of you are really busy - so am I ^^° - so I'll give you some time. Let's say the pictures should be handed in till June 1st 2007
. How to contact me
If you want to participate or have questions, you can write a comment to this journal, drop me a note or write me an e-mail (email@example.com). Please don't write a comment on my main page, I may not see it! Exchange of information ==>The forum at my DA userpage: neomae.deviantart.com/journal/… <==
I opened a thread for those who are searching someone who draws their characters or for artists who are searching for characters they can draw: The GGPP character thread.
There also is a thread about the use of the TV-show gargoyles if there should be the need to discuss the matter. You also are allowed to open threads there yourself. ~Alkaline-Lady told me that for her the forum did not work, so you might have problems using it, too! I realised that mostly the exchange of information takes place in the journals, anyway, so this should not be a big problem==> The journal itself<==
You can write comments or notes to me and I will add offers and petitions to the news section.==> Polls <==
Definetely essential for important decisions.Old polls:
- Should there be a limit on the number of characters that an artist is allowed to submit to GGPP?: neomae.deviantart.com/journal/…
(voting has ended and a decision was made)
- Will we use gargoyles from the TV show, too?: neomae.deviantart.com/journal/…
has ended and a decision was made)
- How many characters is each fan allowed to add to the Group Picture Project?: neomae.deviantart.com/journal/…
(voting has ended and a decision was made)
- The project has a banner now.
I'd be really thankfull if you could place it somewhere in your DA journal or on other websides to spread the word!
I still need people to draw the canon characters. If you are interested, please tell me! All main TV show characters were chosen! ~purplegoldfish
- Goliath and Garg-Elisa~Galax
- Demona ~Nebulan
- Hudson and Bronx*Balron
- Angela and Broadway~Neomae
- Brooklyn (However, as I did not start yet, I'd give Brooklyn to another artist, if you want to draw him.)
- I recieved a reply to my e-mail to the Gathering staff. They said we are allowed to show the final picture at the Gathering but we must purchase the space for it. "There is a $10 charge per display board to help cover the cost of renting the boards. Each display board is approximately 4'x4'. Table space is also available for $10 for one 6'x2' table."
Azrael and me would pay for 2 display boards for the picture. But we have to make sure that we really WILL HAVE a picture to display at the Gathering. So I - like
suggested - I ask you all for WIPs
. Please, as soon as you start your picture send me a WIP. If you already starded, please send me a WIP. Please hand in at least one WIP for each character you want to draw till April 15th. That makes it easier for me to figure out how many pictures I will recieve in the end and I can already start with the background and plan how to arrange the characters.
However, I asked if the final picture could be given to Greg and they replied: "As for giving the finished image to Greg, that's probably not going to be possible, because it will have a lot of non-canon content in it. Since the Gargoyles story is still very much alive and being worked on, he tries to avoid a lot of fan-character influence. Less chance of mixing up or accidentally using another's ideas, among other reasons. If the answer changes, though, we'll definitely let you know. "
I totally understand this and now I ask you: what else could we do with the image? My suggestion would be to try the silent auction at the Gathering: " The Gathering of the Gargoyles 2007 does not require artists to sell their work, but if an artist wishes to offer artwork for sale, we provide a means. There are two ways to sell your work at The Gathering 2007 Art Show.
The first option is the fixed price method. You can give the item a set sale price, for example, $20.00. In this case, the item would be sold to the first buyer willing to pay your price.
The second option is the silent auction. If you wish to participate in the silent auction, your art will be given bid sheet. Interested buyers will write their names and bids on your piece's assigned auction sheet. Once you have three bids on your sheet, your item will proceed to the live auction. There, it will be presented to the audience for bidding, starting at the price of the highest bid on the silent auction sheet. Once bought, all items will remain in the art room until paid for at the end of the convention."
I don't think that we would earn that much but maybe... at least a little? If anyone would buy the picture we could give the money to ... the gathering staff as a donation? I don't know. => What would you do with the picture when it is finished? <=
Please make suggestions and let us think about it together!
is searching for someone who colours her pictures
offers to draw other peoples characters for the project
would allow other people to draw her characters (Spike, Kirin and Airiana are already chosen!)
*** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE ***
1. We purchased a table at the Gathering Art Show for the final picture. There is one problem left: Shipping the print from Germany to the USA would take too long and would be way too expensive, so we need someone, who attends this year's Gathering and would volunteer to make a high quality print of the picture and take it to the Gathering. Azrael and me will pay for everything in advance via paypal. WE REALLY NEED SOMEONE TO HELP US OUT HERE OR WE CANNOT TAKE THE PICTURE TO THE GATHERING!
(A word about the short time: When I set the deadline I did not plan to take the picture to the Gathering - otherwise the deadline would have been one month earlier - but I liked Siril's suggestion very much and some of the participating artists did, too, so I now try my best to make this happen.)
You can contact me via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, via DA note and via ICQ :icq: 254 324 280
2. I plan a forrest/rock scene for the BG so we have plenty opportunities to arrange the characters. Does anyone has other suggestions?
3. I want to make a frame around the picture where the signature of every participant can be found. Please send me your signatures along with the names of the characters you drew (email@example.com). The signatures should be at least 500px at the shortest side, 100dpi and if possible in black colour (not pencil).
4. To make contacting you faster and easier please let me know your e-mail addresses!
NEWS SECTION ENDArtists who are interested in participating (alphebetical order)*Sephiroth-Turqu
=> own character Emily => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved~Alkaline-Lady
=> own characters Tribal and Rose~WearManyHats
=> own character Grey FINISHED
=> Signature recieved ~animeangie
=> own character Naeva => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved.avator
own characters White and Shade => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved *AzraelGargoyle
=> himself, Neomae => WIP recieved*Balron
=> Angela and Broadway `briannacherrygarcia
=> FINISHED *DeyVarah
=> her old garg self and her character Shiva~CinsAngel
=> her own character and her mate*coda-leia
=> Paris Clan => FINISHED~dreamie
=> own characters Dreamie and Thomas => FINISHED~DTaina~elfy016
=> own characters Mako and Nadia => FINISHED ~Elik-Chan
=> himself => FINISHED*Epantiras
=> own character Nimravus, Shen => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved~Galax
=> himself, Joey, Anastasia, Lexington
=> herself => FINISHED*Gray15668
=> own characters Fisher Vox and Glenna Blessing => FINISHED
Jennie => Egyptian Gargoyles Clan~JennyBlue
=> Jenny => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved~jmercedesd
=> own characters Mercedes and Chimura => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved~Joshernaut~Kagaine
=> own character Elona (Kagaine/herself) => WIP recieved~Kanthara
=> Kanthara and Coraly$kozispoon
=> Bowhani Clan*LexX-Ferrovocho
=> own characters Lien and Aruma => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved~Maria-Ylla~MommySpike
=> own characters Spike and Kirin => FINISHED~Nebulan
=> Hudson and Bronx
=> own character Nuit => WIP
=> own character Hope~paintedwolf
=> own characters~pinkgargess
=> own characters Rachel and Jennar~purplegoldfish
=> Signature recieved~RabidPanda1313
=> Gargself WIP recieved ~rocky-chan
=> herself => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved
Selena => Selena => FINISHED~SieTalon
=> Gargself and own character Damian => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved~Siril
=> herself => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved~SilverKitty000
=> Silver FINISHED
=> Signature recieved~stargazer03
=> own character Astrid => FINISHED~Songficcer
=> own characters Sai RECIEVED
=> Brooklyn X's characters Chaos and Gadget, Rita M.'s characters Eva and Fiore => FINISHED
=> Signature recieved~ValkyArtists that didn't know/tell exactly~BrooklynBH
=> own character Anku~kheetor84~VKahri
=> own characters